WHO WE ARE
The American Association of Caregiving Youth (AACY) began as a nonprofit corporation in 1998 which was founded to serve people who were homebound and caregiving families. Headquartered in Boca Raton, FL, AACY is the only organization in the U.S. dedicated solely to addressing caregiving youth issues.
Caregiving Youth are children and adolescents who are 18 years of age or younger and who provide significant or substantial assistance, often on a regular basis, to relatives or household members who need help because of physical or mental illness, disability, frailty associated with aging, substance misuse, or other condition.
We envision a nation where the lives of caregiving youth are understood, appreciated, and celebrated on their individual path to life’s dreams and opportunities.
We champion youth who care for chronically ill, injured, elderly, or disabled family members, support their role as caregivers, safeguard, and celebrate their success in school and life.
DONATE to American Association of Caregiving Youth.
Volunteer for our programs. Learn more.
Here are some other ways you can help:
- Be aware of family health situations and the effects on the whole family, especially on children and their education
- Know that parents & grandparents who are themselves overwhelmed may not realize the effects of family health situations on their children
- Refer concerns about caregiving youth to the school nurse, social worker or guidance counselor
- Support school personnel in identifying and supporting caregiving youth
- Connect, when possible, caregiving youth peers with each other
- Foster relationships with community support services to strengthen caregiving families
- Encourage caregiving youth to read I’m a Teen Caregiver. Now What? and request help by calling their local information hotline
- Advocate for caregiving youth with legislators, religious and business leaders, the public and in educational and professional groups
- Attend the Caregiving Youth Institute conferences
- Take a proactive role – contact AACY about developing a Caregiving Youth Project or components of it through a non-profit in your community
- Refer students to Internet resources especially including www.aacy.org
Thank you on behalf of our nation’s more than 3.4 million caregiving youth!